Autoprovisioning of Snom phone (821)

Can anyone give me guidance on how to setup Wazo and the Snom phone (in this case Snom821) for autoconfigure/autoprovision?

I use Wazo WebUI for setting up Wazo and I SSH in to the Wazo server to edit provisioning files as required.

I have setup autoconfigure for Aastra phones and all works well. So I understand the concept and the directory paths to use.

I have manually setup the Snom phone to work using the Phone WebUI and all works well. From this setup, I saved the xml settings and saved the changes to the default xml settings so I know what parameters to set and the syntax for doing so.

But I cannot get the Snom phone to fetch its configuration from the server and I think I am missing something very basic in the procedure.

I did point the Snom phone to the Wazo server using the phone WebUI with
Setup → Advanced → Update (tab) → Update (section) → Setting URL: http://(Wazo_IP_Address}:8667
I did setup the Snom Plugin and Device on Wazo
I did link the line to the Device in the User-> Line settings in WazoUI

By doing the above, the phone does fetch the connection parameters from Wazo and does make calls, but I cannot get the Phone to fetch any custom settings for the phone type (Snom821) or the specific MAC address.

I assume I am just not setting it up correctly to fetch so if anyone out there knows how this is supposed to go, can you please give me some pointers?

Hi,

I had a similar problem with Grandstream phone annd i had to provision through :

http://(Wazo_IP_Address}:8667/Grandstream

You can check it in ssh by checking this directory :

/var/lib/xivo-provd/plugins/plugin_prov_name/var/tftpboot/ or
/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/plugin_prov_name/var/tftpboot/

you also have to associate users with phones in users lines by selecting mac adress once you proved them

1 Like

Thank you for replying

I did have to add a Directory to the setup for my Aastra provisioning since the Aastra phone configuration files were put into a subdirectory

/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/xivo-aastra-3.3.1-SP4/var/tftpboot/Aastra

but the Snom setup was different.

Snom did not have a subdirectory in the tftpboot directory; with the Snom plugin default setup, all the configuration files were in the root plugin directory at

/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/xivo-snom-8.7.5.35/var/tftpboot/

With Snom, to create the configuration files for the Devices established in the Wazo WebUI, I am runing, at the Wazo CLI

wazo-provd-cli -c 'devices.using_plugin("xivo-snom-8.7.5.35").reconfigure()'

And that did add a {mac}.xml file to the snom plugin root directory, taking settings from base.tpl and 821.tpl (I am testing this with a Snom821) and the Wazo WebUI settings of the Device with that {mac} address

So for Snom, I am pointing the “Settings URL” to

http://{Wazo_IP_Address}:8667

and NOT using a subdirectory

However, in doing this, the phone appears to be only fetching

snom-general.xml  -  Which loads generic Snom settings
snom821.xml  -  Which loads the 8.5.7.35 firmware

It does NOT appear to be loading

snom821-{mac}.htm

which should have loaded

{mac}.xml

because when I manually edit

{mac}.xml

to add function keys or Directory settings, those settings are ignored on a reload.

So I am left with a phone that, after a factory reset, I can configure manually via the Phone UI , but I’d like to use the autoprovisioning capabilities and I cannot figure out how to get it to fetch teh {mac} specific settings beyond those that were set in the Wazo WebUI.

1 Like

Solved!

The settings in the “Settings URL” were being ignored because the Wazo setup had declared the Provisioning sequence to ONLY include DHCP (option 66)

So, in

/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/xivo-snom-8.7.5.35/var/tftpboot/snom-general.xml

Change

<provisioning_order perm="R">dhcp:stop</provisioning_order>

to

<provisioning_order perm="R">redirection:stop dhcp:stop</provisioning_order>

then reset the phone to factory defaults, and enter, using the phone WebUI in
Setup (heading) → Advanced → Update (tab) → Update (category) → Setting URL:

http://{Wazo_IP_Address}:8667

When you reboot the phone, it will pick up the settings in

/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/xivo-snom-8.7.5.35/var/tftpboot

according to the configuration options set by the templates and the Wazo User / Line settings for the Device

I wanted to customize the configuration options so I copied,
from

/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/xivo-snom-8.7.5.35/templates

to

/var/lib/wazo-provd/plugins/xivo-snom-8.7.5.35/var/templates

the following files

base.tpl
821.tpl  (I am configuring Snom821 phones)

and added, for each phone ( with MAC address {mac} ) being custom configured:

{mac}.xml.tpl    (replace {mac} with the actual MAC address of the device)

and then customized with the settings I wanted.

Then I created the final configurations ( for the Device with MAC address {mac} ):, the Device configuration using

wazo-provd-cli -c 'devices.using_plugin("xivo-snom-8.7.5.35").reconfigure()'

You need to be careful with the customization of the templates, but that is a whole new issue, so I’ll leave that to you.

1 Like